Tuesday, July 5, 2011

New England - The final legs

Into Vermont (VT), New Hampshire (NH) & Maine (ME).

Mon 27 Jun Day 109
It is the first day back into the big hills and bfast was awesome. Pancakes covered in blueberries and blackberries - they were delicious. However, it all turned to custard within an hour as I got sick (maybe bfast or some bug I picked up). The first 10 miles I spent retching and wanting to pass out - it was a hideous climb over a hill into a small village called Cheshire. I got rid of 5lbs of gear at the post office to lighten my load - it helped a bit but not with the feeling sick part.

I pushed on through the rest of the day - quite slowly but still putting one foot in front of the other. It wasn't easy as that meant heading up Mt Greylock (MA's highest peak - a 2500' climb). The trail was really nice but I just couldn't enjoy it. I took photos at the top but really didn't want to be there.

Greylock is the most visited mountain in the US - it is completely accessible by car and has a lodge that people stay in. Too easy for some, huh?!

At this point of the day (5.30pm) I found the others who had been there for hours and they said I looked awful. But there were only 3 miles to go so I pushed on with help from Snifur (who ended up carrying my pack the last couple of miles so I could get in by 7.30pm). Huge thanks!!

The Wilbur Clearing Shelter had lots of tent platforms and space. The Colonel and Charlie were in the shelter and Charlie gave me some grapeseed drops to help settle my stomach (they worked well although tasted awful). A random/strange guy turned up as well - he ended up cooking food until 10pm - a little weird.

Tues 28 Jun Day 110
Woke up with a blood nose - totally needing some rest about now. But thats not really going to happen when you don't have enough food and it's resupply day! But I did decide on doing 17mi not 20something.

I felt a bit better once i was underway, but obviously not 100%. I tootled along the first 3miles to the resupply road and ended up getting a ride with "Reuben 2"s wife (she has meet me about 10 times now) to the supermarket. I got a few things although must still have been sick as I didn't get soda or chocolate milk!!

Within 4 mi of here I crossed the MA - VT (Vermont) border. Yay, another state done. Within 6 miles of here I saw my first AT moose!! It just walked out on trail not worried in the least about me. I took lots of video and photos as I could get within 5m of it. Pretty cool experience.

The trees are more coniferous now - loads of pines of various sorts. Plus there is more stunted undergrowth - more like the mountains. Less butterflies and snakes but more frogs and black flies.

The trail is a bit muddy but it is good. The day went well and I made it to Congdon Shelter (17.1mi). It is quite full plus there are a few people tenting. It is forecast to rain tonight - yay, just what we need.

Wed 29 Jun Day 111
It rained!! Lots!! So much so that the roof leaked and Snifur got a bit wet. It had stopped by the time we left though but puddles and mud were abound.

It didn't take long until I was exhausted - recovery from being sick is what I told myself. So I took the rest if the day off and headed into Bennington. I spent the afternoon chilling out, resting and 'not being a hiker'. It was great. Just what I needed. I think I will take the $2.50 bus through to Manchester Centre tomorrow too - just to make sure I'm fully recovered. I will have yellow blazed some miles but the saying "it's not about the miles, but the smiles" definitely applies in this case. Sorry to all this purists out there (cringe but be happy knowing I am enjoying myself)!! =)

Thur 30 Jun Day 112
A dreary and overcast day out of Bennington to Manchester Centre. But I am glad I took the bus as it went through a lot of countryside I would not have normally seen. It was amazing to see the houses!! So much obvious wealth - manicured lawns, flawless pavements, new paint jobs and everything looked immaculate.

Manchester Centre is a touristy town with lots of high-end clothing shops. I almost felt out of place until I found other hikers too. German Shepherd was heading out of town and recommended I stay at the Green Mountain House Hostel, which I thought was still closed, but obviously not.

I met up with Snifur and also Earl Grey, who had done some big miles after his days off at home! We went to EMS (an outfitter) that was having a sale. I bought a new buff (it's white with colourful, psyhcadallic flowers on it), some socks (stripey lime green and red flowery ones) and a pair of new undies. No pack cover though - I had to go to the other outfitter for that.

The sun had come out and turned it into a lovely day. We rang the owner of the hostel (Jeff) and he came and picked us up from outside the supermarket. The hostel is close to being the best on trail (the Hiker Hostel where I started, is the other best one). It was just like being in a really nice house. Everything was clean and just all-round wonderful.

The afternoon/evening was spent playing frisbee, eating pizza (and a free pint of Ben & Jerry's), and watching Avatar (no I hadn't seen it before)! What a great day.

Fri 1 July Day 113
Jeff dropped Earl Grey, Snifur and I at the trailhead at 7.45am and we set off. I was flying - it was a good trail and the first hill flew by. On top was a chair lift for a ski field and a viewing tower (could see 5 states - VT,NH,CT,MA,NY). The grey clouds also formed an impressive line across the sky!

The rest of the day was much like others - up and down and through trees. There were a few lakes and ponds today which is nice to see, especially when the sun is out. I stopped at Little Rock Pond for dinner around 5pm - beautiful view for eating cereal (apart from the fat naked guy and his wife swimming).

The last 5miles went up over a bit of a hill (with lots of piled rock cairns) to Greenwall Shelter (which was only supposed to be 0.2mi off trail but was 0.3 - it makes a difference you know)! We were the only ones there - plus the 375 mozzies.

Total miles for the day - 24.6
Total done on AT - 1667.9
Total to go - 513.1

Sat 2 July Day 114
I headed out of the shelter first and was off flying again. The miles clicked by and I was at Clarendon Shelter (13.6mi) by 12.00pm. It was a lovely spot with large grass area and pot plants. I spent about an hour here drying out socks and shoes.
Earl Grey had just shown up as I was about to leave. He mentioned that Snifur had trouble with his new shoes and had probably gone into town to get it sorted (we weren't sure as neither of us had seen him).

About 2hours later I started the 2100' climb up Mt Kilington. It only took 2.5hrs to reach the top, although some of the trail was tough (lots of root hopping/dodging).

Cooper Lodge Shelter is not the most maintained one I have seen. Loads of graffiti, stoney floor and uneven bunks. Great sunset.

18.9mi done today.

Sun 3July Day 115
Up early to an overcast day. Within 2 hours it was pouring and thundering (right above my head). It was crazy wet. I trotted along fairly quickly though as the trail was good - still loads of mud though.

Made it to the Long Trail/AT intersection (the Long Trail has been part of the last 105mi and heads from VT to Canada). I checked the signs to make sure of heading down the right trail as both the LT and AT are white blazed!!

Got the direction right, picked up some trail magic (can of grape soda) and was in Killington, VT for resupply by 11.30am. The store/deli was fairly expensive without much selection but I managed to get a few things plus a couple of hot dogs, potato salad, a blueberry coffee and a chocolate milk.

I charged my camera, dried out all my wet clothes and hung out for a couple of hours. It was great. Earl Grey turned up around 1pm as he had done a bit of a detour down the wrong road!!

Only 7 miles to the shelter tonight (Stony Brook) and it was awesome. Straight up a hill which was a big effort and over the top then down the other side. Fun. Dreamwalker is the only other thru-hiker here with Earl Grey and I. There are lots of mozzies!

Total miles done today - 16ish :)


- posted by enzed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

one day at a time on the 5 million step programme

The Appalachian Trail runs 2167miles (3487.4kms) from Georgia to Maine. I am going to be northbound thru-hiking from March to September 2011.
More info can be found at http://www.appalachiantrailconservancy.com/