Thursday, July 7, 2011

Few days off

Mon 4 July Day 116
My knee (and basically whole leg) is playing up again. I walked through to the road to Woodstock (where Earl Grey and I had pie and sodas) but I decided to yellow-blaze the rest of the day to Hanover.

It will give my leg a rest and hopefully I will be able to get a massage. I was lucky that a woman at the store could drop me into Woodstock where I could try and hitch to Hanover.

It only took about 20mins until a guy called Todd turned up and offered me a ride all the way into Hanover. I was in town by 1.30pm.

The next bit of fortune was running into The Colonel - who happened to have been shouted a room at the Hanover Inn by his mom ($250 per night)! Scored the best trail magic - thanks Colonel!!!

We met up with Mammoth as well that afternoon and he too stayed at the Inn. Mexican for dinner and a fireworks show out the hotel window topped off July 4th.

Tues 5 July Day 117
Real coffee and chocolate croissant for bfast at the Dirt Cowboy cafe across the road was delicious!!!

Then is was post office time - getting my gloves and long johns for the whites. Plus sorting out the extra food parcel I posted myself was a bonus.

I hung out until midday when Earl Grey's wife Mary came into town to pick him up. I have been invited to stay with them until Thurs. What luck and I am so grateful for the chance to stay in a real house and do non-hiker things.

The trip to Alton passed through countryside a lot like home. Winding roads, loads of trees and not many towns in sight. It took about 1hr 45min to reach their home.

I spent the afternoon sleeping on the recliner chair in the lounge - I must have needed the rest. I am trying to remember to do my leg exercises.

We spent the rest if the afternoon and dinner at Sue and Ricks house on Lake Winnipesaukee. We went out inthe boat while one of thief daughters skied. It was an amazing day. I would never have pictured spending time on a lake in a boat during my time in the States.

I am very lucky.

Wed 6 July Day 118
How good was it to sleep in?! Waffles for bfast while Earl Grey and I looked at the plan for the next few days (into and through The Whites).

I then spent the morning sorting food and gear and finally uploading my photos. I hadn't seen some of them for ages and it was amazing to see what we had been up to. I hope everyone enjoys them too - they are on Facebook under Enzeds Appalachian Trail, you will need to friend me and/or send me a message to view them.

The afternoon was spent back at the lake. This time we all had a go on the tube. It was so much fun to be out there. However, a storm came through and we quickly packed up and made it back to the house in time to get gear from outside before the rain.

Pizza, soda and s'mores for dinner - yum!

Heading to Glencliff tomorrow for a start into The Whites on Friday. Yep another yellow-blaze but I'd rather miss these miles than The Whites and I'm hoping my leg holds out for the last few hundred miles. Cross fingers.

- posted by enzed :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey- slow down there girl!!! We don't get back from Canada until late Monday night! At the rate you're going we're going to miss you!!!! The White Mountains are almost our backyard (give or take a couple of hours of driving!). Are you planning on staying at the hostel at Lake in the Mountains? I've hiked a bunch of the peaks in that area..some of my favorite hikes. Provided you don't speed by us in the next couple of days (!) we'd love to meet up with you sometime after Mt. Washington- maybe Pinkham Notch? Our number in Maine is 207- 637-2003. Give us a call or an estimated ETA in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard your leg is bothering you. If you need anything, just give a call. I'd be happy to come get you. I hiked yesterday, Kyle & Ric also. We spent the night at Jeffers Brook Shelter. Ric went over Moosilauke with Earl Grey today, Kyle & I caught a shuttle back to my vehicle and left trail magic at the parking lot on 112 for them and others. Mary (Earl Grey's Wife)

    ReplyDelete

one day at a time on the 5 million step programme

The Appalachian Trail runs 2167miles (3487.4kms) from Georgia to Maine. I am going to be northbound thru-hiking from March to September 2011.
More info can be found at http://www.appalachiantrailconservancy.com/