Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My abnormal diagnosis

Tue 12 July Day 124
So here's the breaking news!!
I spent the night thinking I would die (not quite, but close) and decided I should go and get tested for the things that could be killing me =). Mary was hugely generous in taking me to the nearest 'walk-in' facility in Laconia, NH.

We arrived at 12.11pm and left at 5pm with a diagnosis of "lab abnormalities" and dehydration. I'm probably always dehydrated but the lab results were more telling. I have an elevated CPK level 3 times the normal range which means that creatine phosphate kinase is leaking into my blood stream due to muscle tissue damage (that really isn't surprising) but it has been causing the intense fatigue.

I hope that's the case anyway as the only other option is Lyme Disease, which I don't get the results back from for 1-2wks!!

Either way it's a bit of a bummer as treatment for elevated CPK is to flush it out and rest for 3 weeks! (sigh). Now I have to start thinking about plan F.

Highlights of the day though:
I didn't feel any worse leaving the hospital.
John the nurse was nice and didn't even leave a bruise from the IV.
Dr Lovett had been fishing in Clinton, NZ and loved it.
Mary sat through 5 hours of crazy boredom with me.

Will keep you posted with what happens next.

Tune in next time when you'll hear, "what happened to that kiwi girl on trail? I heard she fell apart..." =)

- posted by enzed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

one day at a time on the 5 million step programme

The Appalachian Trail runs 2167miles (3487.4kms) from Georgia to Maine. I am going to be northbound thru-hiking from March to September 2011.
More info can be found at http://www.appalachiantrailconservancy.com/