Mon 25 July Day 137
I got up super early this morning (4.35am) and was on trail to do 18mi into Monson, ME before lunch. It was one of my best days so far - 6.5hrs and I had made it to the road. The trail was easy to walk and fairly flat - only a few ups and downs plus one long hill about 3 miles to the road.
My leg held up well and I hope it lasts these final few days. This is the last town before Mt Katahdin and tomorrow I enter the 100 mile wilderness. Four days worth of food then a resupply at a hostel for two more days. Then its only 2-3 days left (depending on the weather will depend on what day I summit Katahdin).
I am at Shaws Lodging (hostel) and there are loads of hikers in (mostly NOBOs and a bunch of section hikers). We just hung out today - it's been quite warm, but not as hot as other parts of the States.
We are hanging out for breakfast as Shaws offers an AYCE for $7. Loads of pancakes, eggs, sausage, hash browns, fried potatoes (home fries) and tea/coffee/juice. Can't wait - although it's only 7.45pm so there is a lot of time to pass still. Although maybe not so bad as I will probably be in bed shortly (still a Nana)!
Won't be able to post again probably until I'm finished so just imagine the next few days full of mud, tree roots and river crossings as that is what I'll be up to.
See you all soon.
- posted by enzed :)
hey. Good to hear the leg and body is coping Kerryn. Not long to go now. Winter is well and truly here. Had a huge snowfall mid and lower sth island late Sunday and Monday. All airports closed from Chch south. Chaos for travellers... great for hoteliers!! My work is busy at the moment. Lots of desk and floor work.. the weeks are whizzing by. Hard to believe it is August next week. Starting to think of my summer holiday...anything to get through the winter. Those ponds sound fab! Take care..gb
ReplyDeleteThanks Gav. Your messages have been a welcome sight whenever I have had the chance to check this :) good to hear things are going well.
ReplyDeletekb xx