Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mt Washington

Sat 16 July Day 128
Mary and I set out from Alton at 7am -ish for Crawford Notch. We made good time and I was on trail about 9.15am. The climb up the Crawford Track was really nice.

I called into the Mizpah Hut for water and continued onto Lakes of the Clouds. There were some good uphill rock slogs, but they were short and the weather was stunning.

I made it to LOC's hut by 1pm which I was happy with, considering I had had a week off. As I was leaving I heard my name called and Shoofly and Nero had just arrived at the hut. It was great to see them and catch up.

There was only 1.6mi to the top of Mt Washington, it was all uphill. But it was actually quite easy. The hour flew by as I rock hopped and "oohed" and "aahhhed" over the scenery. It was beautiful.

The top was a different story - lots of buildings/structures all designed to withstand the weather (ie built like brown bomb shelters) and hundreds of people lining up or milling around (they came by car or cog rail). I had lunch with Shoofly and Nero and we sat downstairs in the info centre to avoid the noise and crowds. Crazy!

I'd seen all I had to see so went tithe car park for a ride. I was lucky and got one from a Swedish couple. It was a scenic ride down the mountain too. Great to have experienced that as well. Again, I was lucky to get a ride from the end of the road with a woman who had just been cycling and she dropped me right at the door of the hostel.

How convenient :)

Leg is feeling good but I am going to have a shower and do my stretches like I should.

Catch up soon.

- posted by enzed :)

1 comment:

  1. KB... oh my, how do you do these wonderful crazy things? hang in there!! thinking of you lots. xxx miss you

    ReplyDelete

one day at a time on the 5 million step programme

The Appalachian Trail runs 2167miles (3487.4kms) from Georgia to Maine. I am going to be northbound thru-hiking from March to September 2011.
More info can be found at http://www.appalachiantrailconservancy.com/