Tues 22 MarchDay 12
A 6am start today to get to Winding Stair Gap by 9am for a shuttle into Franklin. We weren't too sure how my ankle would go. Had to use the head torch for the first 40mins but it was nice heading towards civilization and seeing the lights from houses dispersed in the dark. The ankle was really good and we made it to the shuttle with plenty of time to spare.
Ron Haven from the Budget Inn picked us up in his bus - he is one of the nicest people. We got into town at 10.30 and had the rest of the day to chill out. High-five had left us Dairy Queen vouchers (she rocks!!) so Forest Gimp and I went and pigged out on burgers, fries, drink and blizzards (reece's peanut butter bits whizzed through ice-cream - heaven)!
Washing got done, blog uploaded and groceries bought (always too many and adds to the weight but yummy anyway). Then it was time to eat again!! This time a much more healthy option of salad and baked potato (with a beer as big as your head of course)!
Wed 23 MarchDay13
A slow start from the Inn this morning - there were a group of about 9 of us but we didn't get dropped off at the trail 'til 9.45am (local time drop off no hurry). We had 11.2mi to get through to Wayah Bald Shelter (if we had left earlier we may have gotten to the 16mi mark).
The clouds came in and the rain started in big drops. Could almost have dodged them :) The high point of Wayah Bald had a tar sealed road, toilets and a stone tower at the top (all accessible by car). The view could only be imagined as the clouds gave a lovely white-out image instead. Few mins down trail we reached the shelter - its quite new and very clean. Hoping that High-five meets up with us again soon. Miss her :)
Heading to A Rufus Morgan Shelter tomorrow then passing through the NOC. Hope the weather clears.
Thur 24 MarchDay14
A 15.5mi day - OMG! Three ups and 2 massive downs. The first 2/3's was really good up to Wesser Bald. The view from which was stunning - 360deg vistas through the hills we have been hauling through. The hardest part was the downhill into the A. Rufus Morgan shelter. The feet were screaming that they'd had enough!! The ankle though has held up really well.
The shelter is a tiny 6ppl lean-to, with no privy or bear cables. We just hung our food on a nail and hoped for the best...:)
Fri 25 MarchDay15
A late-ish start today after 11hrs sleep!! Must have needed it after such a long haul yesterday! Forest Gimp and I had headed out by 8am for an early arrival at the NOC (Nantahala Outdoor Centre) - it is basically an OPC based on a river. The flow is controlled and they have some major kayaking events here. Breakfast was calling out loud and clear - it was less than a mile to the NOC and half an hour later we were eating French Toast, bacon & egg sandwiches and pancakes!! Complete with coffee - what a way to start the day.
Then the plans changed a bit - Forest got a phone call and has had to leave the trail :( That means I had a day of solo hiking (up the biggest hill to date - 6.9miles in 3hrs 20min!) The views back down the Nantahala Gorge were awesome. I was glad the weather was clear.
Two worrying things today - water was at a premium (learnt a lesson coz I nearly ran out) plus the trail was the most confusing so far - I didn't see a white blaze for nearly an hour. But kept on going coz I wasn't going to do extra miles checking it out up that hill! I figured if I wasn't on trail I could always pitch my tent. No need though as I'm tucked up in my sleeping bag in the shelter. It is of course nearly bed time (it's 5.21pm and I've had dinner and packed up. Just teeth to clean and last loo stop at 7pm). What a nana hey!?
Sat 26 MarDay16
Up early to be on trail by 7.30 - the weather has turned and clouds and drizzle had come in as I left. By 8.30 I was wet, had seen bob cat and sung "oughta be in love" 47+ times (to keep the bears away - after seeing the bob cat it reminded me I was all by myself :)). At the top of Cheoah Bald the view was a cloud - bit of a shame but "it is what it is". And after that descent trail magic appeared - just in time for my second bfast at 10.30 - chocolate pudding (dairy food yoghurt), a can of come and 2 slices of pepperoni pizza YUM!
That gave me the energy to blast up "Jacob's Ladder" - 1200 steps taken to get to the top (and yes, high five I counted). Time flew by and the rain slowed down and by the time I had reached Cody Gap the rain had stopped. I reached Cable Gap Shelter in 7hrs (including the 20min 2nd bfast) which was a great time for 15.2mi.
Am heading into Fontana Dam tomorrow morning (hopefully by 10am). The shelter there has a shower which I definitely need and a washing machine (yeeha)! Might take a 'nero' or a 'zero' here but will see. "Vamos a ver".
Sun 27 MarDay17
It lightning and thundered all night last night. 6 of us were packed into a shelter shoulder to shoulder with all the wet gear hung up outside on makeshift lines. It looked very rustic :) but at least there were no mice so you have to be thankful for something.
I got up later than usual and didn't get going 'til 7.50 which I was a bit bummed about but I am sitting in Fontana Dam (2nd largest dam in the US, to the Hoover Dam) doing a load of washing and updating this at 11am so not too bad. $1.25 for a wash and 25c for 8 min of dryer - at least the washing liquid was left over from someone else :)! It's all about saving something.
I will get some supplies needed for my trip into the Great Smokey Mountains (starting tomorrow probably) for the next 5-6 days.
I will hopefully catch up with High Five today - she left me a note on the info centre sign this morning so she is likely to be at the 'Fontana Hilton' shelter!! Yay :) We will head through the smokeys (in and out of Tennessee,TN) to Standing Bear Hostel just past Gatlinburg. Won't be stopping 'til Hot Springs early in April (that sounds so weird as I cant believe it will nearly have been a month). It feels like it's been 3 already!!
Postcards still haven't been sent - sorry, post offices were closed and I couldn't get international stamps. At least you know how I'm doing. Catch up again in a week :)
- posted by enzed :)
Good to hear the ankle mended swiftly. Hope the next leg of the journey goes just as well. All great in Hammie, NZ.
ReplyDeleteWas worried about the ankle- glad to hear it's not giving you any troubles. You're making great time...at the pace you're going we might miss you in NH/ME!
ReplyDeleteCheers! Karen