Fri 11 March Day 1
The Hiker Hostel put on a lovely bfast of waffles, scrambled eggs, oatmeal and grits (corn something) all of which I topped with maple syrup :) YUM! Our drop off time was 8.30ish and we arrived at the Amicalola Falls State Park at 9.15. We signed into the log book and took the obligatory photo at the approach trail archway, then set off at 9.30.
604 single leg squats later (that's code for stairs) we got to the top of the falls. Lots of water due to lots of rain but was lucky today as the weather is sunny yet crisp.
I have spent the first day hiking with a previous 2000miler called Freefall - thanks again for all the great info, it will be helpful. We got to the top of Springer Mountain (8.8mi) in 4hrs - which I thought was a good start. He continued onward to the next shelter but I am staying here at the Springer Mountain shelter. The end of day one.
I am about to cook dinner - it's only 3.30pm but would rather do it now in the sunshine and snack on muesli bars later. We'll see how that goes :)
Sat 12 Mar Day 2
Dinner turned out to be at 4.30 and then a group of us went to see the sunset from Springer Mtn. It was beautiful - will try and put up a photo (not sure how to do that yet).
Today began with a mice running event about midnight - 3 times up and down my pack and raincoat them over the top of my head - Sharon, you wouldn't have liked it one bit. Plus a guy snoring that shook the floorboards (my loudest encounter yet)! Then a privy stop (yes that's the loo) at 6.30am -just the right time for sunrise. I didn't hang around long as it was really cold. But lovely. What a start :)
I headed to Hawk Mtn Shelter today-7.8mi in 3hrs. Another good effort. Am going to attempt a 12.5mi day tomorrow.
A day has made a difference to my packing - things fit a lot better already. It's still about 14kg though. Lots of food! Found out that my water purifier doesn't work - luckily Peregrine (man I walked with today) let me use his. Hopefully all I will have to do is sort out new batteries! A little annoying.
I am sleeping in my tent tonight. Hopefully less mice-capades and snoring. It is really warm during the day and cold at night. It was a great day today.
I heard today that there was a massive earthquake in Japan! I don't know where exactly but I hope everyone is ok. Please let me know any details.
Catch up tomorrow
Sun 13 Mar
A long day today - 13mi in 6hrs! And it even included a 15min stop and a 10min beer break. Not bad timing.
Stinking hot today - sunny and 19deg. I think I even got a bit sunburnt. But the best part was arriving at Woody Gap and getting pizza and sodas from a trail angel. It was magic and the best timing for the end of the day.
Josh from the Hiker Hostel picked some of us up and I managed to get to Walmart to replace the batteries in my Steripen. It is working now!
Got to check my washing. Catch up later.
- posted by kb :)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFinally I have managed to comment on your blogspot. Haven't been able to up until now. Loving your updates. Sounds like you are off to a great start. We think you are awesome! Maia is curious to know how many steps you are doing each day on average.
ReplyDeletehey Kerryn. Great to hear you are finally on the go. Hey..better mice than bears!! I did Relay for life 2 weekends ago. Not quite 5 million steps but a few. We walked for 1 hour then had 2 hours off. Did a total of 6 hours. It rained from 11pm till 5am - wasn't so bad but the tents all leaked (lol) so the down time wasn't very comfortable. The final hour was rather slow- sore hips and tired head!! Great cause and we raised some vital funds for Cancer -so won't moan too much. Marlborough is having a stunning autumn. The harvest has started and gets into full swing in about a week. Off to the Mussel Festival this weekend at Havelock. The Topp Twins are performing - should be fun!! Keep safe! gb
ReplyDeleteHey Kerryn. What inspirational cousins I have! Posted on your FB page too...but then came in here and had to send a wee hello. Look forward to reading your next update. Love Rob x
ReplyDeleteHey Kbarr, stick with sleeping in your tent. You'll be more comfortable, even if it's raining, and you won't have to worry about mice as much. Glad you were able to get some new batteries. It was nice meeting you on the beginning of your journey and we will follow you the rest of the way.
ReplyDeleteGrandad is really interested in your progress, he'll be keen to hear from you
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great start! Looking forward to (hopefully) seeing you and maybe delivering a pizza when you hit New Hampshire this summer!
ReplyDeleteOh- and we're all fine in Kobe. :)
ReplyDelete