Wednesday, March 23, 2011

40 4day hikes

Mon 14 March Day 4
39 4day hikes to go! One way of looking at it to make it seem smaller :) although all said so far it has been amazing. Yesterdays blog was quite short as I was really tired after a long day. Today's effort was just as good though and it makes getting to sleep easy - I managed 10.7mi in 4.5hrs up and over Blood Mountain. My hill legs still haven't arrived - I asked at the Outfitter store here at Mountain Crossings - I hope they get here soon :) - still no blisters though.

Today there were so many squirrels, chipmunks and birds. It was a wildlife day. I haven't seen a bear yet although there have been some around, so I hear. Loads of time for that still.

I am spending the night at Neel's Gap at the Mountain Crossings backpackers - it's a great set up and just experiencing the store is worth the stopover.

Will catch up again soon. Off to take some photos!

Tue 15 March Day 5
First day of rain! Fairly good sleep at the hostel in mountain crossings-apart from the massive snorer. But set off at 8.30am and up the first hill. Walking through the fog and cloud was quite amazing. The day was not too long - 3 of us (me, high-five, and Tyler) did 11.7mi in 5.5hrs. But it was freezing cold when we reached Low Gap Shelter. Straight out of shoes into a sleeping bag to warm up. The shelter was full - 7 ppl lined up along the decking. We were in 'bed' from 2pm!! what nanas :)

The night wasn't so cold and the cloud had lifted a bit before dark.

Wed 16 March Day 6
We headed out for a big day today - my trail name is 'enzed' and I was hiking with 'high-five' and 'forest gimp'. We hoofed it along the first flat section by 12.30pm then hit the hills - 4 big ones today and 15miles hiked in total. We are now at Tray Mountain Shelter. It will be the last shelter in Georgia before the North Carolina state line. That will be crossed over on Friday.

64 miles done so far - that's 10.6mi a day. Great start - although time for a day off soon!

Thur 17 March Day 7
An early start from the veteran hikers today - 5.30am. But it was a lovely morning. The stars were out and not a cloud to be seen made for a gorgeous sunrise as we left camp. Another big day with a couple of massive hills (particularly Kelly Knob).
It was our last shelter in Georgia - we cross the GA/NC (North Carolina) state line tomorrow.

The weather has been stunning - sweating through about 25deg! Just great.
We even managed to find trail magic - apples and oatmeal cookies. Greatly appreciated at the end of the day before getting a pick up back to a motel in Hiawasee -where we were lucky enough to get a Guiness for St Paddy's Day!! To top off the day we had a huge feed at the local mexican restaurant. Yummmm!!

Fri 18 March Day 8
A crappy food start to the day - lesson learnt. Do not eat at Hardee's prior to a big day (or any day for that matter). We headed out from town at 8.30am for 11.7mi to Muskrat Creek Shelter - we were lucky to have blitzes the trail and nab a spot in the shelter (it saves setting up more gear - especially important in the mornings). Gee, getting lazy already!! :)
The days are filled with many ups and downs - nothing overly strenuous or long which is a definite plus. Mostly the view is thin, leafless forest with a few green holly, hemlock or rhododendrons brightening up the brown/grey. The vista's are quite incredible though - and reaching 4500ft gives beautiful, multi-layered hill scapes. Our biggest hill haul was up Courthouse Bald (about 1mi into NC).

Other NOBO's I have met are 'nor-easter', 'backyard boogie', 'torch', 'nosebleed', 'prophet', 'turn around', 'loose ends', 'gypsy girl', 'hazard' plus a few more of course. So many people at the shelter and camping tonight. A big scout group came in - all decked out with jeans, pop corn, sodas, massive packs etc (just like students at home).

Great nights sleep now though - so tired and finally immune to the snoring. Yay!

Sat 19 March Day 9
Ok so this was my hardest day so far! Not because of the mileage or terrain (in fact it was probably one if the easiest days in that respect) but I am knackered. I should have had a zero day but continued on with high-five and forest gimp for the extra day. Will do a zero tomorrow. And in hindsight now it was really good to get through the day in such good time despite it feeling like the most difficult :)

A scrumptious dinner of salmon and cheesy risotto - it's amazing how good basic stuff tastes when you're hungry. But if course it's eaten at 4.30-5pm at the latest and hiker bedtime is still about 7.30 (all quiet by 8.30pm).

Sun 20 March Day 10
A zero day today - that means no miles. It was great. I didn't get out of my sleeping bag 'til 9am to have bfast - I was starving as usually bfast is at 6.30! High-five went on to Rock Gap shelter as she was meeting a friend in Franklin on Monday. Forest Gimp and I hung out for the day. He attempted to 'fix' the privy which was so full you couldn't use it and I caught up with this blog. Hopefully it will all get posted in Franklin. We watched a couple of movies (good old iPhone) and listened to the pogues. Bed time still at 8.

Mon 21 MarchDay 11
Up at 6.18 this morning and under way by 7.20. It still takes a bit to get functioning in the mornings. Today we headed up Albert Mtn - which wasn't as bad as it looked on the map. A quite steep but short climb to the top. There was a fire tower at the top and gorgeous views over cloudy hills. Stunning. Then it was all down hill from there - literally and figuratively. On the flattest part of ground I have seen yet I stood on a tree root and twisted my ankle. Mum you will just laugh, I passed out twice from the pain. But Forest looked after me and eventually I was able to strap the ankle and walk out (Forest had my pack though).

I have since strapped it properly and its ready for a short hike into Franklin tomorrow. Just 3.6mi to town. It will be ok I'm sure :)

- posted by kb :)

7 comments:

  1. It all sounded so good until the ankle!! Ouch! Hope it's nothing serious. Take care of yourself- we're thinking of you and still looking forward to seeing you somewhere in NH. Not too many 4-day hikes from now!
    Cheers,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Aunty Kerryn,
    I hope you took some photos of the squirrels and chipmunks for me to see. But a photo of a bear might be too scary. I hope your ankle gets better soon. You need to be very careful with your walking. We put a sticker on Franklin and are looking at your map all the time. I am on my Spring Break holiday right now. I went to Kidzania last night and I got my drivers license and pretended to be a fire fighter. It was fun. I love you.
    Gambatte Kudasai From Maia
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the update. Sounds like you are meeting some great people too.
    Stay safe.
    Love Sus
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl
    Loving your updates ... and feeling tired in sympathy!!! My weekly 3 hour tramps and subsequent sore bits pale into insignificance. Keep up the good work, remember the stretches and look after the ankle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello
    Great to get the catch ups. You have to have zero days or there is nothing for us all to read. Passing out from the pain...hmmm... I have a similar problem with pain myself...must be genetics!! Still great days here in Marlborough. Had a load of firewood dropped off today, so theres my afterwork exercise for a few days. Haven't lit the fire yet but getting ready for when the cold nights really hit. Keep safe and don't forget the zero days!! gb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ow! Hope your ankle's better soon! Great that you're meeting so many people though, sounds like you're having an amazing time. Work is so crap here at the moment, wish I was with you!
    Thinking of you, keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy KB Looking forward to the movie to go with the script. lovin' it. xx cheers kearvy

    ReplyDelete

one day at a time on the 5 million step programme

The Appalachian Trail runs 2167miles (3487.4kms) from Georgia to Maine. I am going to be northbound thru-hiking from March to September 2011.
More info can be found at http://www.appalachiantrailconservancy.com/