Monday 7 March
I have arrived in Atlanta, Georgia (and yes the song is on my mind)! It was a bumpy, 8 1/2 hr flight from Heathrow but managed to get in a good movie haul - Black Swan, The Kings Speech & Eat, Pray, Love (again). All really good but TKS was my pick.
Immigration was hilarious-no problem with the visa, but the woman at the desk didn't really believe what I am going to do. She kept looking at me as if I'm nuts and asking me how I would eat food and sleep etc. Then she told me to follow her and took me to an office (which I thought was going to be more questions!!) but she just introduced me to a staff member who has section hiked parts of the AT!! :) classic. I was laughing the whole time.
Part two of immigration was re-checking the bags (who knows why as they had all just come off a plane) which were whisked away on another conveyor belt and ended up on the other side of the airport - I had to catch a tube through 6 stops to get it again. Crazy!!
Made it to my bed for the next few nights. Will be up and around Atlanta doing chores for the next couple of days. Maybe will also check out the Martin Luther King memorial and the Coke museum if it's not horrendously priced.
Tuesday 8 March
What an interesting day - a tube, bus and walk mission to REI to get last of gear then back again. Plus a 2hour session in the supermarket trying to work out what to buy - who knew that butter came in a spray bottle (oh yeah that's right, it's not butter)!! Then I tried to pack the bag (oops too much stuff) - it will fit, it will fit, ... Will it?
Wed 9 March
Yes it did.. but man it's full! Almost thought I'd need another pack but then realized I just need less stuff :) the dish washing and laundry liquid might have to go (they take up 150mls of space).
"I think," said Christopher Robin "that we ought to eat all our provisions now, so we don't have much to carry." What good advice :)
It is raining today - I'm heading to the post office and then maybe the tourist spots.
Thur 10 March
Tourist spots done and dusted - much sunnier day and was nice to get around town to see the Martin Luther King memorial, Olympic Park and the Coca-cola head quarters. Got picked up by the Hiker Hostel in Atlanta and am here on the eve of beginning the AT! It's a beautiful hostel and a wonderful place to start. I forgot to post postcards today-will do that as soon as I can (please let grandad know).
Have met 12 or so other hikers and have been hearing stories already. Lots of fun.
Will catch up again next week
xx
- posted by kb :)
No comments:
Post a Comment