Ok this is quite a big one as I have just headed through the Great Smokey Mountains.
Lots of firsts:
Longest day miles -16.7
Longest day hours - 8 (diff day)
Highest point on AT; First below freezing night (-4deg); first snow walking day thru a winter wonderland; walking with both a strapped ankle AND a thumb (info to come); first time spending 15 hrs in a sleeping bag and NOT having to pee (but that's probably enough info...).
Mon 28 MarDay 18
The Fontana 'Hilton' Shelter is really nice - it has the best location I have seen so far. It overlooks the Fontana Lake and it has been sunny enough to enjoy it too :)
Then the trail magic began - an ex-trail walker turned up with his BBQ and cooked hotdogs, had cokes and corn chips. It was awesome. Complete with ketchup and mustard!! There was a group of about 15 and we ate so much food and had so many laughs. It was a good night.
But this morning was a bit if a tough one - up at 6am so High Five and I could leave at 7. It was raining and fairly miserable but we had to make a start on the smokeys. The coldest part of the day was the very first part - crossing the dam! The wind was freezing.
But of course we warmed up and we had the best (and longest) day so far - 16.7mi!! Wahoo - we are stoked with our effort today. There was a lot of green, new leaves and bits of view when the clouds cleared along with the fancy looking shelters (stone walled with double layers and fire places) - still not sure why they can't put front walls on these things though, coz it's freezing when the wind blows.
High five and I are planning on a shorter day tomorrow (just 13.5mi) but are not too sure what the rest of the smokeys will bring. The highest point on the AT (Clingman's Dome) 6643' will be reached in the next two days. Quite excited about that.
Tues 29 MarDay19
Well the smokeys dished out some pain today for us both. It was only 13.5mi but by the end I was knackered. It doesn't help that I haven't had a zero for 9 days. Vitamin I (ibuprofen) was taken tonight.
Despite the pain the day was gorgeous - the views were the best I have seen so far. Rows of mountains 9 deep into the horizon!! Clouds hanging in the valleys and the sun shone in a bright blue sky! Magic :)
Hope the rain that's predicted for tomorrow isn't too bad.
Wed 30 MarDay20
Well the rain wasn't so bad - just loads of cloud cover. Which was a bummer as we passed over Clingman's Dome (highest point on AT) today. It wasn't a great start for me today - I am really tired (should be resting but it's too cold here and I have limited food so must push on) and due to yet another thoughtless moment (I tried prying my thermals off with my thumb) I dislocated my thumb again!
So I haven't learnt to take rest days yet - will be doing that soon though (6 days to go). My feet are the sorest but I still don't have any blisters so that's a bonus. And as always, the pack gets lighter so it's not all bad.
It's great traveling with High Five as well as the time passes more quickly-and it's great to have a Chardonnay (or any other 'whine') when there is only a mile left in the day :).
Only 3 days left in the Smokeys.
Thur 31 MarDay21
So the rain stopped and made preparing bfast a much more pleasant experience. Nothing had dried out and it all smells awful (including me) but I must admit only the shoes are the worst. They are in desperate need of a clean, but that will have to wait 'til town (Hot Springs).
It's been 9 days since I was clean too so I am looking forward to town also.
We have been sleeping late the last few days -we are a bit knackered really. There were 12.6mi today and they were actually pretty good. The sun even came out for a bit and we had some great views. Then it snowed!
Holy moly it is cold. Just above freeing inside the shelter-I'm in my sleeping bag and am forgoing cooking dinner (instead it's two muesli bars). Much better being warm.
2 days left in the smokeys.
Fri 1 Apr Day 22
Wow -4deg this morning!!!! We didn't get out of bed 'til 8.30 and even then it was still below freezing. It's the longest time I've spent in a sleeping bag I think.
Plus it was the worst experience I have had of putting on frozen socks and boots! There were lots of swear words said by us both this morning. BUT the sun came out and fixed the downer mood and we set off on a lovely, short rest day of 7miles. It was THE most gorgeous and pretty day I have had. It had snowed about an inch overnight and everything was covered. High-Five and I got some cool photos I hope. The sun shone and the blue sky was great to see after the last couple of gray days.
We arrived at Cosby Knob Shelter with plenty of afternoon to spare and with trail magic left by someone - a dehydrated breakfast mix (egg, hash browns, tomatoes and pork sausage) Delish!! Just what we needed and a sit in the sun for an hour.
It's now 5pm and I've eaten dinner, brushed teeth, hung bear bag and am in s/bag again. Much warmer and comfy!! It's the standard ritual for the moment - I cant wait 'til it's warm though!!
1 day left in the smokeys - and only 10.5miles to go.
Sat 2 Apr Day 23
It was a 6.30am start so that we could get through the 10.5mi to Standing Bear Hostel (just across the I-40) by lunch time. There was a thunder and lightning storm at 5am but it had luckily passed through by the time we got up. There were a couple of inches of snow on the ground which made sorting out the rocks and tree roots kinda interesting.
It's a good hike downhill for the day - but I think they are getting easier.
What a great day - hanging out in the sun, having beer and pizza (which was free!!). A great half day here. Ready for a 14.8mi tomorrow.
I have met some more new hikers in the past couple of days, plus catching up with old friends. It is a great bunch of people but it's leading to some late nights with guitar playing and more beers.
So that's the end of the Smokeys! Glad it's done - one section done. Heading to Hot Springs next.
- posted by enzed :)
Awesome job! Having driven through the Smokeys I can appreciate what you've done!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete:)
sounds amazing Kerryn. Keep it up. Congrats on the new niece. What great timimg the young Barr has. Appearing on Jans bday...just magic. My mum is very excited also.
ReplyDeleteThose hot springs are going to be great!! Enjoy!! xx gb