Tuesday, April 5, 2011

From the Smokeys to Hot Springs

Sun 3 Apr Day 24
We had a beautiful night at Standing Bear hostel. Great sleep - probably my best yet. Nice start to the day with bright blue sky, standard oatmeal out of the packet and a Starbucks 'Via' coffee. Yeeha!

High-Five and I made super time up and over the first massive hill. Then came hill #2 - it was like Panikere Bluff (but of course way shorter) :)

The first highlight was Snowbird mountain - the view from which was amazing. Views for MILES! but Max Patch was the highlight of the day (and maybe the trip so far) - what a view. All the way across the States (not quite but man it was awesome). It was impressive to see where we had been walking the past few days/weeks!

The body is holding up despite the miles. Still no blisters, the ankle is ok (I'm going to give it some attention in town) and the thumb is still taped but it's ok too. The sorest parts are the bones if my feet where my arch is supported (I think they need a break) and my right shoulder strap has been pinching a nerve I think, so sometimes it's been excruciating but then it's fine - so will hopefully fix that in Hot Springs too with a hot soak and massage! Oh yeah!

Am pleased with efforts so far. I have hiked 262 miles to date - that's 10.9 mi/day average. Not bad for now as there are some flatter sections ahead. More to come :)

- posted by enzed :)

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Kerryn. 262 miles and then some. Maia is loving your posts. Kia kaha!

    ReplyDelete

one day at a time on the 5 million step programme

The Appalachian Trail runs 2167miles (3487.4kms) from Georgia to Maine. I am going to be northbound thru-hiking from March to September 2011.
More info can be found at http://www.appalachiantrailconservancy.com/