Mon 4 Apr Day 25
Wow - just completed the most miles in a day! Due to a weather warning for storms this afternoon and a freakishly fast first 6mi today, High five and I decided to push on past the intended 14.8mi shelter and head into Hot Springs - total 17.6 miles in 7hrs . It is a Trail town and has a festival next week plus hiker deals around town. It is tiny though - definitely not much to do although they do have actual hot springs and a spa resort (where we will be renting a cabin between 5 of us tomorrow). I can't wait for a total day of doing nothing (by that I mean not hiking, as most days I don't do much) :)
Today was one of the hottest (in the mid to high 20s I think) and a bit of sunburn was gained from the 7hrs out in it, but not much. The sun is hot but it doesn't burn like at home. I fully enjoyed the t-shirt and shorts weather. Let's hope once the storm passes the sun comes out again.
The plan is to head for Erwin in the next 6 days then onto Damascus, hopefully 8 days from then. I haven't checked the post office here yet (that will be tomorrow) but am looking forward to any mail along the way. I miss chatting to everyone. Internet hasn't proved as easy to gain access to. Hopefully it will improve. My last post today was from a free 20min trial which never seems to last long enough.
I am going to try and write up a gear review so far - it's all going very well but I thought it would be good to post updates. It will also be a job for tomorrow.
I hope all is well with everyone. I appreciate the comments you leave.
In case I haven't updated you yet I have just completed 279-ish miles (446km). 1900 odd to go!!
Tue 5 Apr Day 26
A crazy lightning storm lasted all night last night. I have never seen so much lightning without thunder. Definitely grateful not to have been out in it.
First priority this morning was breakfast at the local diner. We figured it must be good as there were loads of cars outside, but then realized it was the only place in town! Luckily it was good. Mammoth (another hiker) and I ordered a skillet bfast (basically everything) and were the only 2 hikers in the last week who had managed to finish it. I LOVE being able to eat anything - plus I had 3 coffees and an orange juice. Admittedly though, I didn't need lunch :)
Post office was next (thanks Sus and Maia) and booking cheaper accommodation - at cabins right on the French Broad River. There are 6 of us sharing so it works out about $11ea (which is super).
This afternoon I glued the tip of my shoe back on; went for a hot pool soak (which by the way was awesome); sorted out food for the next 4 day trip and listened to Mumford & Sons and The Boat That Rocked soundtrack. It's great having a day off.
I am going to 'zero' tomorrow too as I have a couple of things to pick up and my legs are still a bit stiff (it is good to have the rest).
I will be in Damascus by the 19th April. It has the largest trail festival and is famous as a hiker town. I will miss Trail Days as I am a bit early, but might get to go back if there are rides on offer. It is a great weekend gathering of hikers. It is also nearly the 500mi mark (465) which is quite a milestone and most people who make it to here get to Katahdin.
Wed 6 Apr Day 27
It was nice knowing that I wasn't going anywhere today - not that any if us slept in though. Awake at dawn-ish.
The jobs today consisted of food (chocolate milk, rice krispies & coffee) followed by Internet checking, banana split, fuel supply and then having more ice-cream and a beer. Then I had a shower. It's 2.45pm and it is definitely the day for chilling out. The next item on the agenda is pizza for dinner!! Man its all about the food! (and no worries about the calories - even better).
Heading out of here tomorrow up another hill - it will only be a 12miler (just to ease back into things). Cross fingers the weather holds.
Thur 7 Apr Day 28
It was great to get up and get ready inside. It makes life so much easier - but it's those small things that hikers appreciate out here.
Today was only a 11.4miler but it felt a lot worse - I'm not sure if having 2 days off was a good idea. My body still aches even though it has had rest - I think it is also just one of those things that out here something hurts every day. It's just the way it is.
We made it through to Spring Mountain Shelter in good time though and have spent the arvo chilling out with others - Chris and his dog Sierra, and U-haul (he has a 50lb pack!!). There are more on the way so it will be a packed shelter tonight (there are only 5 spaces) and some will have to camp.
It would have to be the first shelter I have seen in such poor condition - some floorboards are missing and others are at different levels. It does have a roof though so I can't really complain :)
It's almost dinner time - yep 4.30 or 5pm is the usual. Hmmm what will it be tonight? Oh yeah, packet pasta and salmon (that's fairly usual too). I haven't had 2min noodles yet - can't wait til the day I want them for variety though! (yeah right).
Weather is holding. It's a very pleasant 20 odd deg. Just right.
Fri 8 Apr Day 29
Up before dawn to get to Trail Magic breakfast - there are a couple who did the trail in '99 who make food for any hiker that calls in during the day. And its not just any food either...for starters we had raisin bread and waffles with maple syrup and butter (with a choice of any drink you could think of), then beef stew with veges followed by dessert (and not just one choice - fudge brownie sundae, bread pudding w apricots, banana split, or apple crisp (crumble). I had a combo fudge brownie sundae with a banana (and ice-cream of course). Plus a cup of tea to finish with - we could have even had 2nds if we wanted or could fit it in!!
Hauling ourselves up the first hill was definitely a mission and we certainly did't need lunch today either. The nicest part of the AT so far came after the hill - it had the easiest stretches followed by a ridge run over boulders which was a lot of fun. However it was my SOREST day so far too - my feet (particularly the left one - it seems to be all injuries on one side) gave up today. The arches are pulling a bit and I had had enough of being sore every day so far! :(
But I'm ok now - still arrived at the shelter on time, had skittles, relaxed a bit, taped my foot which seems to make it feel better (cross fingers for tomorrow) and ate dinner. All these things plus the company of others (High-five, Cascades & Sierra, Lego and Redwood) make the journey worth it.
Tomorrow is a 14.7 miler. Let's hope the weather still holds until Erwin in a couple of days.
Sat 9 Apr Day 30
Great nights sleep - another 11 hrs :) I strapped my foot and it held up surprisingly well - only got sore around the 13mi mark but was bearable.
It was a day for big ups and downs. I still much prefer the ups as the downs hurt my feet more. But am still trudging on and did the 14.7 in 7hrs (which included lunch stop). Got to the shelter and it was full - first time this has happened. High-five and cascades got the last 2 spots as there are 2 SOBOs here tonight too. So 'Grandpa' and I had to pitch our tents. Grandpa is a thru-hiker I just met today.
So with severe weather predicted for tonight I have cooked dinner and am tucked up in the tent all ready for bed - except it's really light outside and not very social in my one person tent!! Might be the night for reading a book or getting extra rest for our attempted 20 mile tomorrow.
Sun 10 Apr Day 31
So the severe weather warning bought gumball sized hail, rain, lightning and thunder til 2am. Thankfully my tent withstood the elements and I slept quite well despite the light show.
However it is always worse when you have to pack up a wet tent in the morning. We were away by 7.15 in order to get trail magic bfast this morning. There was an ex-thru hiker (Quiet Paul) who cooks up scrambled eggs, hash browns and sausages with juice, oranges and sodas for every hiker that passes through a car park at an intersection. It was amazing. I still cant get over how generous the trail angels are. We also got trail magic this afternoon (just when it was really needed today too). Powerade and an apple were my choices but there were sodas and candy bars on offer too.
So returning to the point about needing/appreciating the trail magic - I did a 20.7mi day today!!!!! That's 33km (almost to Raglan). Wahoo. Not feeling too bad and we pulled into No Business shelter at 5.45pm. It was a long day but we are now only 5.7mi out of Erwin, TN.
It was an awesome day - views from Big Bald Mountain were amazing and there were some great uphill hauls. The downhills weren't all that bad either which probably is the reason why I am feeling ok. I guess the real test will be whether I can walk in the morning!! :)
- posted by >enzed :)
No comments:
Post a Comment