Tuesday, April 12, 2011

GEAR REVIEW

I'm not sure of the best way to do this but thought I would list the gear I'm using and any pros and cons I have found.

TENT - Macpac microlite.
Pros: very quick to put up and pack away (especially in the rain); it's lightweight.
Cons: not sure yet
SLEEPING MAT - Thermarest Prolite+
Pros: it's a great insulator; self inflates mostly (only 4 breaths needed); super comfy
Cons: it's relatively heavy; it's stored shape can be awkward for packing.
COOKING - Ultralite Trangia, Light my fire flint, Denatured alcohol.
Pros: light; small; tough; relatively quick to boil; alcohol fuel cheap and economical; fuel stored in collapsable platypus bladder, which is great!
Cons: more difficult to light when cold (although has always lit with a lighter).
FLATWARE - Sea to Summit bowl and cup
Pros: light and space saving size.
Cons: heat retention not great but adequate; silicon has split (but not sure if this was a mouse attack or not!!).
RAIN GEAR - Marmot jacket and over trousers (lightweight).
Pros: lightweight yet very effective; easy to clean; great sleeve ventilation and wrist closures.
Cons: zips should pull down to close (easier to do in the cold).
PACK - Macpac Adventure Racing Pack
Pros: it's light; great pockets (especially on hip belt); it's doing a great job.
Cons: it's small (makes packing very specific).
POLES - Black Diamond Ergo Cork with end protector caps
Pros: easy to alter; stay in position; comfy grips; don't slip.
Cons: mice have gnawed at handles (from the salt/sweat build up), but this can be sanded smooth again - so maybe a pro.
SLEEPING BAG - One Planet Zephyr 550 Reg
Pros: packs up small; super warm; foot zip; can completely unzip.
Cons: must keep dry (down) but this hasn't been a problem yet.
SHOES - Merrell Moab Gortex Ventilators
Pros: The best shoes I have worn hiking. Stepping in puddles and snow has not been a problem (or no worse than other people with hightop/gortex boots); lightweight and dry quickly.
Cons: the tip of one boot has peeled slightly but I never experienced this on my other pair - it was easy to repair.
CLOTHING - total list
Icebreaker long sleeved 360 x 2 (use one for day and one as emergency dry); icebreaker leggings (are getting holes in and are also now too large, I am using my old standard polyprop leggings more often and will prob get rid of my others when temp gets warmer); icebreaker 150 and 200 t-shirts - use everyday and are holding up well with machine washing and drying; Kathmandu zip-off trousers - I ditched the zip off parts in first week and now just have shorts, used everyday but are getting too big (will either have to alter or replace soon); Buff - ideal as a headband for keeping hair and sweat out of face, plus good for wiping snot on :) ; Bridgedale socks - one ankle length and one mid length lite hiking. Both holding up well although one pair got nibbled by mice and will need a mend but its only on the upper so no big deal; icebreaker bras x2 and undies x2 - both wearing really well and holding up to machine washing and driers.

I also have:
3 x Sea To Summit dry bags (food, trash & valuables)
1 x titanium spork
1 x lighter
Black rubbish bag as pack liner

And that is pretty much about all...
Will keep this updated if things change

- posted by enzed :)


- posted by enzed :)


- posted by enzed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

one day at a time on the 5 million step programme

The Appalachian Trail runs 2167miles (3487.4kms) from Georgia to Maine. I am going to be northbound thru-hiking from March to September 2011.
More info can be found at http://www.appalachiantrailconservancy.com/