Mon 23 May Day 74
Thank you for all the birthday wishes!! I have had an excellent day in DC. I am absolutely knackered from all the walking (doesn't that sound ridiculous) but doing the tourist thing is exhausting! Bring on the trail tomorrow.
The day started at 5am in order to get pancakes for breakfast, then catch the train at 6.50am. I chatted with another hiker (Web) for the hour ride in. By 8.30 I was at the State Capitol building. I have never seen so many cops or American flags at one time. Talk about surrounded.
It was almost embarrassing though, on the way up the road, when I saw grass and a small tree and went to snot-rocket on it - only to remember in time that I was in a city!! Oops :)
The first part of the day included seeing the White House, WWII memorial, Washington Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial. Loads of concrete and stone buildings but fairly impressive really :)
I walked across the Potomac River, over the Arlington bridge but didn't have enough time to see JFK's grave which was up on the hill.
On the way back up The Mall I stopped into the Smithsonian Museums - American History (Star Spangled Banner and Julia Childs kitchen), Natural History (the Hope Diamond), Smithsonian Castle (off Bones), Air & Space (moon landing stuff, Wright brothers, planatrium) and the Native American History (Indian, Alaskan & Hawaiian).
Now I'm waiting for a train. Everyone runs for them here too :) Crazy day but awesome. I have loads of photos - but still haven't found somewhere to upload them easily. It will happen sometime.
Tue 24 May Day 75
So when I got up this morning my ankle had swollen up (not where I sprained it but on the inside and around my shin). Looks like another hint to take a rest. So I listened for once and was lucky enough that the third night at the hostel was free!! My day off cost me nothing :)
I was royally looked after by Rain Runner (Brian) who had just arrived and is working there for the summer season. Baked chicken & hummus tortillas for lunch, cups of tea and awesome conversation were topped off by calf, back and foot massages. Wow I was spoilt.
I have also had 4 showers in 3 days. Never have I been so clean!!!
Wed 25 May Day 76
From the hostel it was a quick .9mi back to the trail and it was good to be heading North once more. A perfect day weather wise (warm and sunny but not too hot as there was loads of foliage cover).
There are only about 18miles through West Virginia and out of Harpers Ferry I crossed into Maryland (MD). Four states down.
I called into the Ed Garvey shelter for a break - it is one of the flashest I have come across. 2 leveled and it even had a back door from the upstairs. The shelters here are a notch above many I have seen. Long may it continue.
A cruisy 13mi in 5hrs and plenty of stops along the way brought me to the Rocky Run Shelter. It's 15mi from Smithsburg, MD but I'm not sure what the nearest big town is to there. I will be in Waynsboro, Pennsylvania (PA) the following day. The states are surely flying by.
There are loads of people at the shelter tonight. It's nice to see some familiar faces again though - Breeze, Downhill, Fuzzy navel, Tiger Lily and Earl Grey have shown up. There is also small school group and a few newbie hikers who are very green :) those were long days ago.
It's early (8pm) and I am now in bed. Trying to catch up on sleep and it will be a long day tomorrow.
- posted by enzed :)
No comments:
Post a Comment