Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Maryland, Pennsylvania, midway & the half gallon challenge

Thur 26 May Day 77
As I write this tonight the rain is bucketing down and the wind is howling around the shelter. I am so lucky to be inside right now! What a day.

I set out at 7.15am and made it to one of the memorial museums (yes, I remembered that I am walking through some of Americas significant historical sites from the Civil War). Harpers Ferry was a dividing point heavily fought over and the battle of Antietam (one if the worst for casualties) was fought just nearby where I am now.

It was the hottest (84 deg/ 30) day today and very muggy. It was like walking through a jungle for 20miles! Earl Gray and I walked together and even decided to push on to the 15mi mark for lunch. By the time we got there (2pm ish) we were both starving.

We saw some great views of the land today - one from a memorial tower to President Washington and the other off some rock cliffs.

But the day was long and ended with the last mile uphill (hard on a 20+mile day) followed by a 0.8mi return trip for water. I had to remind myself that some people have to do that (or more) everyday and/or don't have clean water! Please appreciate your ability to get safe, clean water from your tap today.

I have done my stretches twice today (Earl Gray is a good influence). I hope the muscle recovery goes well tonight although I have only planned a 13 miler tomorrow with a resupply in a town called Waynesboro, PA. Which also means we are done with Maryland. Tick off another one :)

Fri 27 May Day 78
We had amazing storm showers pass through last night and I was glad to be in a shelter. But they had cleared in the morning and Earl Gray and I were out by 7.30am. We cruised along and reached the Pen Mar County Park by 9.30 where we could hitch a ride into Waynesboro.

Yay for Walmart - their prices are cheaper than the normal supermarkets. That's a good and a bad thing as everyone ends up buying more than they need. The problem is fitting into the pack and carrying the extra weight for the rest of the day!! My extras today are 2 instant puddings (banana and cookies & cream) an apple and a coke. Along with all the usuals like salmon, Gatorade, m&ms, skittles, muesli bars and pasta side dishes.

Earl Greys brother met up with him at Walmart (they were touring on bikes) so we entertained them with the fun & games of packing the groceries into food bags and packs. It really is quite a mission.

We crossed the Mason-Dixon line today which divides the north and south (but was originally just the border between MD & PA). I need to brush up on my American history. If anyone has anything useful to add, please let me know :)

The remaining 8.2mi flew by and was quite nice to walk through. One shelter and the section to the next one was a mosquito alley. There was a mozzie cemetery on each arm by the time I reached Tumbling Run Shelter (where we are tonight).

It is one of the nicest sites I have seen. The privy has scented air freshner and 4 rolls of toilet paper, there are two shelters (one labelled snoring the other non-snoring) & the water source is only 75m away.

We had another heavy thunder shower through around 5.30pm but it has cleared now and hopefully will hold out tomorrow too.

A couple of people I hadn't seen for a while passed through the shelter site this afternoon. It was good to see Hansel (although no Gretel for a week) and Spaceman & Rocket (they had 9 days off).

Am hoping tomorrow will be a good one - planning a 25.8mi day.

Got to go put on more bug repellant, then it's bed time (8pm)

Sat 28 May Day 79
What an amazing day. I got up at 5.30am, boiled water for my coffee and ate a huge bowl of Special K - delicious! Then Earl Grey and I set out.

The first part of the day was the hilliest - although by now hills are done in 5 mins and really aren't worth a mention. We met the first of many section hikers out and about for Memorial Day weekend.

On the way past the Caledonia State Park pool facility we grabbed a soda and pushed on for lunch at Quarry Gap Shelter. Wow it was flash. Very well maintained and had lots of 'extras' like a garden frog, hanging baskets, perennials, veneer board on the back wall of the privy and two shelters linked by a covered porch. It was a great spot for a break. 12miles done but still more miles to do.

The trail was great from this point on. Lots of flat or gently rolling road-like sections. We made good time and reached the 3/4 way mark about 3.30pm. From here we finished the day in style -
26.6 miles (a bit over a marathon), reached the midway point of the AT (1090.5) and had done my longest day!!! Wahoo! Awesome! I was buzzing for ages after getting in.

Slow day tomorrow. Just 3 miles in to eat ice-cream for breakfast in the "half gallon challenge". Yes, that's 2L of ice-cream :)

- posted by enzed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

one day at a time on the 5 million step programme

The Appalachian Trail runs 2167miles (3487.4kms) from Georgia to Maine. I am going to be northbound thru-hiking from March to September 2011.
More info can be found at http://www.appalachiantrailconservancy.com/