Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pennsylvania Rocks

There are 3 entries- read below first

Sun 29 May Day 80
So what did I do today ...? I ate ice-cream and went to the beach of course!! What else did you expect :) it was a great day.

A nice late start to hike the day with a 3mi into Pine Grove Furnace State Park, PA. Home of the AT museum and the half gallon ice-cream challenge.

Earl Grey and I were honestly a bit apprehensive about doing the challenge (1.85L ice-cream). Mammoth had set the bar at 42mins and we had heard that picking the right flavour was key. We then realized that it really didn't matter whether we did it or not.

But we did. I chose banana split, he had chocolate. My completion time was 32min 31sec. The first 3/4 and the last 4 mouthfuls was good but in between was a bit of a struggle. Not enough that I didn't eat a cheese and ham toasted sandwich and a coke afterwards too.

Then came the museum - it was interesting to read part of the AT history (although most of it I had read about).

Carrying on down the trail brought us to a lakeside beach (quite unexpected and very much appreciated). There was a convenience store and toilet block right there too. So we went for a swim and ate a cheeseburger and fries. Told you my appetite was growing!

Afterwards we hung out in the sun and didn't head out until 2.45pm. It was only 6.7mi to the James Fry Shelter. It has double bunks and a huge floor area. It's quite nice. Not long here though, it's going to be an early morning as we plan to do another marathon!! Crazy!!

Mon 30 May Day 81
Well two marathons in 3 days wasn't the smartest idea. Completed it but hit the wall about the 18mi mark. The start was great and we had done 12mi by 11.15am and the trail was all flat from Boiling Springs. However, it was 34deg and sunny, so the afternoon was hellish.

Got through to an ATC staff quarters and downed pack. Resupplied water and changed socks (had to cruise through an overflowing stream) and considered all options, including another yellow blaze!!

But I didn't. I sucked it up, put my big girl undies on and finished the last 4 miles to Darlington Shelter. It's pretty busy - there are 7 thru hikers here and some flip-floppers.

I'm absolutely exhausted - I hope a sleep will help! Duncannon tomorrow - might even stay the night. Will see.


- posted by enzed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

one day at a time on the 5 million step programme

The Appalachian Trail runs 2167miles (3487.4kms) from Georgia to Maine. I am going to be northbound thru-hiking from March to September 2011.
More info can be found at http://www.appalachiantrailconservancy.com/