Wed 18 May Day 69
A nice sleep in this morning. I didn't leave the hostel til after 9am and was back on the AT by 9.45am. I am glad I could walk out of the Shenandoahs - at least for the remaining 2.5mi! The 4miles to the roadside went well for my ankle - once it's taped up it's great, but my shin is still sore and it was niggling.
I managed to pick up a ride and was in Front Royal by 11am. I hung out at the grocery store (it was big and full of awesome food) until Cascade and Mammoth got into town (abt 1pm). We ended up staying at the Super 8 hotel. It's the usual type of place and we went and did our usual things - laundry, outfitters (which didn't exist anymore) and AYCE Chinese, then groceries. We found a organic shop that served muesli by the gram, so I will be having nicer bfasts. Mmmmm, blueberry granola, I can taste it already.
Thu 19 May Day 70
Out if bed at 8am. Oops! But on trail by 9.30am due to the local librarian picking us up and dropping us at the trailhead.
I had hoped to do 15mi today but the shin hurt too much so I stopped at Manassas Gap Shelter (10.6mi) and put my legs up for the afternoon.
Time for dinner now - hmm what will it be? Chicken and mashed potatoes or mixed vege rice? ...
Fri 20 May Day 71
There are some crazy people out here!! Last night at about 8pm a young guy (23), whose name was Lemur, arrived at the shelter having done 37mi. He sat down, said "hi" and then discussed with the other thru-hiker (Will) how far it was to the next shelter (13mi). "ok, I think I'll go there then. I'll probably get in around 1am and that would make it a 50mi day" !!!!! Holy moly!! And off he went. No problem.
I had one of the best nights sleep I have had and one of the best bfasts too. The granola and powdered milk was DELICIOUS!
So the day started well, but... I took pain killers for my shin and set off at 7.37am. The pain killers really didn't work well at first, in fact the first few hours were hellishly sore. I decided to add strapping to my shin to help support it, but that didn't work straight away either! But I pushed on to the 12mi mark (Rod Hollow Shelter) and had lunch. By then the pain had gone and it still doesn't feel sore at all now. Let's hope that continues.
Plus I tweezered out my first tick!! I felt it bite me so it got dealt to really quickly - it felt pretty gross pulling it's head and jaws out of my leg though :)
The remaining 6.9miles of the day were over what is affectionately known as the Roller Coaster. Lots of ups and downs by the look of the book, but nowhere near as bad as it semed. It was a lovely walk through streams and hills and my leg wasn't sore.
The Sam Moore Shelter is nice - next to a stream, has a covered picnic table and a large fire pit. No more trail family to share dinner with :( they have all shot on ahead to Harpers Ferry for Saturday. Its a bit strange really. But that's just the way it is!
Total miles for the day - 19.8
Sat 21 May Day 72
A sunny start and gorgeous day. This section of trail (Front Royal to Harpers Ferry) is wonderful. The remainder if the roller coaster was easy and well maintained.
I crossed the 1000mile marker today!! Crazy. 1600 kms!! Done and dusted. I stopped for lunch at the marker and took the obligatory photos.
The plan was to head to the David Lesser Shelter, but heard during the day that it gets frequent town visitors on the weekends so have ended up at the Blackburn AT centre. What a fantastic decision that was!! The day just gets better.
Heading down the trail to the centre I saw a rattle snake. It shook it's tail at me and I backed up (as it was right on the trail in front of me). Got a few photos as it cruised along the trail - about 1m long and black and yellow in colour.
Then I arrived at the centre - it's amazing. An old house surrounded by a huge screened porch with a bunk house right next door. I got a free soda on arrival, accommodation costs nothing and there are picnic tables, chairs and lawn space for easily 50 people. There are currently 5 of us here :) Did I mention this place is awesome?! I am sitting (no actually lying) on a sun lounger right now eating 'laughing cow' cheese and pop tarts. Life is good!
Only 12mi to do tomorrow into Hapers Ferry.
...And I was just delivered a piece of hot fudge brownie! Delicious :)
Sun 22 May Day 73
An early start up and at 'em to get to Harpers Ferry before 11am. It was a nice 12miles (a few rocks and quite a bit. Of flooding) but easy enough.
Haroers Ferry is at the crux of Civil War history. The meeting if the North and South. I have yet to study up on it much but none the less it's a place of historical significance.
It's now a tiny town living off the tourist industry. The head quarters of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy are here and where I spent all of my day. Just hanging out and resting. Thnaks for the packages sent - I enjoyed (as did others) NZ lolly treats :)
I am staying at the Harpers Ferry Hostel for two nights as I am heading into DC tomorrow for my birthday. I am quite excited about that!!
- posted by enzed :)
No comments:
Post a Comment