Thursday, May 5, 2011

Beyond Damascus towards Perisberg

Tues 26 Apr Day 47
So I didn't want to "go to the gym" yesterday and by that I mean climb hills. But that seems to be what the AT is about - climbing hills. 2000' over 3mi was tough and the many little inclines along the was so unnecessary.

But today I saw the first shelter that has four walls and a door. We didn't end up staying there and moved on for a 19mi day to Jenkins Shelter.

I almost missed the shelter sign - the worst indicator I have seen so far. There were 8 of us crammed into the shelter and 5 people tenting. The privy was also the first I have seen that didn't have any walls or a door! Hilarious!!

There were loads of deer about last night too. Sierra had a great time chasing them.

Wed 27 Apr Day 48
It was a huge ask today - 23.8 mi with a stop into a town (via a hitch). Our new trail family set out by 7.15am and scooted through the first 11mi in 3h45m and had to wait at the road for about 20min til we got a ride in the back of a pick up truck.

We were in Bland by 11.30am and got dropped off at Dairy Queen for blizzards, burgers, sodas and a quick resupply. Back on track by 1.30pm for the second half of the day - the next 13.8! It flew by along nice ridge trails and I was in Jenny's Knob Shelter by 5.30pm. Awesome!

Recovering now and hoping the body holds together tomorrow :)

Thu 28 Apr Day 49
What an amazing storm last night! Devastating though for Alabama (200 people died) as a tornado came through. We were ok in the shelter and got some awesome photos during the night.

It was a morning for a sleep in and a short day. However it didn't end up like that in the end - we were going to do 14mi to Wapiti Shelter as a rest day BUT ... I left at 8.30am and went via Trent's Grocery (an extra 1mi round trip) then caught up to the others and had my arm twisted to continue on to Woods Hole Hostel (total miles for the day 22miles)!! On top of yesterday it was a huge call.

So we all ended up at the hostel - it's quite expensive for the extra things like laundry but at least the shower is free.

I am going to tent - but I'm annoyed. I need to just suck it up and get over it.

Heading to Perisberg tomorrow.

Fri 29 Apr Day 50
If sleeping on a slope is your idea of fun then you could have joined us all in a fab night!! The tent sites were not ideal but at least it didn't rain.

Coffee, snickers and a muesli bar for breakfast and I was off at 8am. The 11.5mi into town was one of the longest I have done - I wanted to be in town rather than hiking. But the time eventually passed quickly and Mammoth and I chatted for a good part of it.

Our trail family made it into Perisberg by lunch and all crammed into a double room. Two double beds and 2 floor spots! It smells quite bad - especially when you leave for a bit. Once you're inside, it knocks you out. :)

AYCE chinese was awesome ($8) and resupply done by 4.30. Then I rang REI to ask about replacing my Steripen - it's been unreliable and a pain which I hear is unusual. It is being replaced in Daleville (yay).

Off to Mexican for dinner and watching a ice-hockey match.

Heading to Daleville in 5 days.

Sat 3 Apr Day 51
Out of Perisberg was not the easiest day any of us had had.

It was the first day I thought of how easy it would be to walk down a road and catch a bus home (and that was in the first 3mi!!)

Up 2000' in 3miles then the most boring 11mi across a ridge - repetitive rocks and confusing blazes. All of us had sore everything by the time we got into Pine Swamp Branch Shelter - not a great day to say anything about really.

It was an early night to bed.

Sun 1 May Day 52
It's amazing what difference a sleep makes. We had no problems today. Although no sightings of bears (Lego & Redwood saw 3 bear cubs yesterday).

Another up 1000' then ridge walk then after lunch down 2000' and up 1500' to the shelter. LOTS of hills but fairly easy going now.

We passed by Kelly Knob that was an amazing view point off some crazy rocks. Staying at Laurel Creek Shelter tonight after the 18.5mi day. Resting up for tomorrows 22.5! (more ups and downs).

Mon 2 May Day 53
From Pine Swamp Shelter down through streams to an old abandoned house then through pasture to the largest oak tree on the AT in the south (it is 300 yrs old and over 18' around). The 1200' climb was good but he slanted trail along the ridge was terrible. Timing was good though and the 12.4mi ended before 1pm and we all had lunch at the Niday Shelter. It's the same crew of Lego, Redwood, Cascade & Sierra and Mammoth.

The afternoon was pretty - lots of streams early on and nice trail conditions. Huge 1700' climb up and over Bush Mountain. Easy downhill and side trail to the Pickle Branch Shelter.

It's quite nice here but we are all really tired. It was a long 22.5mi today. Getting water, food then to bed are the 3 priorities tonight. Mammoth managed to catch a small crayfish in the river while getting water (managed food and water at same time) :)

I am going to write out how many miles per day I have done as it is quite interesting to see what I started doing compared to what I have been doing lately. Hopefully have it sorted soon.

Tue 3 May Day 54
Huge day today - it was a 23mi day up and over McAfee Knob then up and over Tinkler Cliffs. Both were awesome. Fantastic photos with feet hanging off the edge.

But I now have blisters!! 700mi without them and I forgot to change socks so ended up getting blisters under my toes.

Big day but good.

- posted by enzed :)

2 comments:

  1. All those days boasting of blister-free feet finally caught up to you! That sucks, tho! I love reading about yall's adventure still. I miss y'all and the trail every day! Daniel and I are going to hike NOC to Fontana this weekend. It's going to magnificent getting back on the trail! Keep on being awesome, and don't forget your package in Waynesboro! - High Five!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cuz. You are doing so well. I'd love to see a photo of you as bet we'd hardly recognise you. Saw Jan & Ross at Easter and then again last week when I went to Ham to pick up Edie. They're their usual wonderful selves. Made your feijoa and coconut cake last night...with white choc chips. Mouth watering yet???? It's delicious. Kids and i doing well, David loving his job in London. So hope we'll end up seeing you there. We'll have 4 rooms so you can come and stay as long as you like. Perhaps you could be our aupair??? Now that's a good idea. Well hon, keep trekking...thinking of you daily. Love Robx

    ReplyDelete

one day at a time on the 5 million step programme

The Appalachian Trail runs 2167miles (3487.4kms) from Georgia to Maine. I am going to be northbound thru-hiking from March to September 2011.
More info can be found at http://www.appalachiantrailconservancy.com/